25 November 2009

i'm an adult - please treat me like a child

i try really hard to support local establishments - especially restaurants. i didn't used to care all that much, but now it's more of a big deal to me. but a couple of major restaurants in town are not helping me help them. in both places i have been barred from ordering off of the kids' menu. sometimes i'm hungry, and sometimes i also have money. in those cases i'm more than willing to pay for a full entree. but sometimes i just want a burger or i don't wanna spend so much money. and in the case of the restaurant last night, the burger was ONLY on the kids' menu (along with chicken strips - which i also love). what gives? isn't this somehow unconstitutional? i promise i'm an adult, and if i want to order off of the kids' menu you should let me. i have the money - i will decide what food i want. how can you deny me food based on my age? that's totally discrimination. i see a sit-in on the horizon. watch out dixie castle and catfish cabin!

5 comments:

James E. Hearn said...

Yeah, kinda jerky on the restaurant's part... Rules are rules, so go somewhere that has rules you want to play by, I guess... Restaurant service/quality is bad enough here in 2009 anyway, it makes me want to not go out, especially when it comes to national chains. I don't know if it's that restaurant quality is getting worse or I'm asking more and more from restaurants. I mean, $2.50 for a soda? Wow. That stuff is dirt cheap. It's like, the more stuff like that they try to pull, the more I push back, which in turn makes them even more stingy/miserly. Spiral of bad feelings, I guess. Same with movie theaters.

David Brent Hollis said...

yeah, i agree that it's all going to pot - especially the service. sometimes i wish i was jerk enough to not tip at all - cause it's usually not earned. but seriously refusing to let me order what i want, that's pretty much all around crazy.

rgli13 said...

yeah- but would they sell a racecar bed to an adult?
randall

David Brent Hollis said...

hahhahha, it's just so funny to me that you commented on this spam/ad someone put on my blog. and of course you said just the right thing. i wanted to take it down, but now i'm gonna leave it up.

James said...

just found your blog...good stuff. I would guess that a large enough percentage of people who would order off the kids menu would also not tip, and thus take a table out of rotation - hurting the server's pay. Servers make next to nothing per hour, and while better service earns better tips, etc, etc...i would also guess that, as a server, it may be hard some days to keep from becoming quite jaded.
So, in short, i say, as long as you tip your waiters and waitresses...let's eat tiny burgers and chicken tenders. (It's probably the proper portion size, anyway)