26 August 2021

Gov. Bill Lee

When Bill Lee was elected governor of Tennessee, I didn't really know anything about him as a person or a leader. I knew he owned and ran a successful business. I was pretty sure he went to Auburn University (my wife's alma mater and my favorite SEC school). All in all, he seemed harmless enough, and I was willing, as I try to be with everyone, to give him a chance. Since that time a great deal has changed, and now I am deeply concerned at the leader, and seemingly person, Bill Lee has turned out to be. 

My first elements of concern began at an event at Tennessee State University. There was a gathering of remembrance in honor of The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bill Lee was in attendance. At first, I was pleased, and it was mentioned that he was the first governor in some time to attend this event. When The Reverend Dr. William Barber II took the podium, he challenged everyone in attendance to stand if we were committed to ensuring healthcare for all. Everyone stood, except Bill Lee. The Reverend Dr. Barber made several additional comments and requested that everyone stand who was committed to pursuing similar acts of justice and mercy. Everyone stood. Bill Lee sat. There is video of this if anyone needs to check my memory. Initially, I didn't know what to make of Bill Lee remaining seated through the entire presentation. On one level, I had to respect that he had the...something...to remain seated while everyone else stood. But, I couldn't reconcile the fact that he wasn't standing for several things which I believe any person, let alone any Christian, should stand for. He made a great deal during his campaign about being a "man of faith," and his profiles still profess that he is this. Of course, what kind of faith he is a man of seems to be up for debate, particularly with the recent number of fellow clergy calling his leadership into question.

What I believe is no longer up for debate is the recognition that Bill Lee is not fit to govern Tennessee, and his response (or almost total lack thereof) to COVID-19 is proof. Certainly no person expects to be a political leader during a worldwide pandemic. And it is worth extending an appropriate measure of grace to Bill Lee and others who seem to be doing their best. But if what he has done is actually his best, it is far from good enough. Tennessee has regularly been listed as the worst place in America regarding COVID numbers. Meanwhile Lee has fought mask mandates, issued lukewarm approval for vaccination, launched a campaign to pay tourists to come to Tennessee, bizarrely fired Dr. Michelle Fiscus, and continues to insist children be put in harm's way while the Delta variant ravages our communities. 

A leader admits when they are out of their depth. A leader steps aside when they can no longer do what is needed. America has many narratives about leadership which are problematic, and some of these narratives cause people to double down rather than step down. I think Bill Lee is quite possibly doing the best he can, but any rational person who is able to look at the situation objectively would come to the conclusion that his best is not good enough. There is no shame, and I think there is great honor, in admitting you don't know what you are doing. I have done this both in my personal and professional life plenty of times. So, I plead with Bill Lee, because lives are actually at stake, admit that you don't know what you are doing and ask for help from those who do (namely our medical professionals) or resign. 

No comments: