22 December 2016

Wee Care Too

I enjoy the clever use of words. I’m even a fan of most puns and turns of phrase. But I’ve never gotten the intentional naming of things (especially businesses) in a way that tries to get a laugh or appear clever. To me it just comes across as desperation. 



I noticed a few years ago several restaurants were obsessed with using “too” instead of “2” or “two.” Like, “The Melting Pot Too” would be a thing. Obviously that’s not a thing because “The Melting Pot” isn’t really into naming different locations anything other than the initial brand name. But this was mainly with local restaurants that spun off into another location and thought they would be clever. You know what, just don’t. Be bold and call your second restaurant the same name as the first. Worried that people will be confused? So what if they are? Even if they get the locations mixed up they will still be eating at one of your two restaurants. You literally can’t lose! It absolutely worked for Chili’s, and that should be the basis of every decision you make as a restauranteur.
This is so embarrassing. The one restaurant I picked as my
example for all others to follow did the very thing I advise
against. Cruel irony...or just extremely poor decision making. 

Also, I passed a daycare today that was “Wee Care.” Stop it. There’s immediately a zero percent chance I’m bringing my kid to your place if that kind of marketing and branding is what you’re going to teach him. I realize it’s got to be pretty hard to name a daycare, because you need to sound really friendly and at the same time respectable. There’s probably no way to do better than something like “Harry Potter’s Daycare” but then a lawsuit will likely follow. So I can’t help you. It’s at least one reason I am not running a daycare - the naming is so impossible. Come to think of it, just go with St. Sebastian’s Daycare or even Center for Children. Who is St. Sebastian? Doesn’t matter. Are you affiliated with some sort of religious group? Maybe, does that appeal to you? If not, then “No way” is the answer. It’s completely the best way to go.

To sum up. When naming establishments - whether of the food and beverage variety or those that feature lawn care, the molding of young minds, or stores of furniture - just say what the place is or pick a completely random but unassailably cool-sounding name. Again, nothing clever is needed. Just “St. Sebastian’s Store of Furniture” please.

No comments: