25 December 2016

Who Decides If There is Room in the Inn?

This morning I read an article from Nicholas Kristof entitled “Am I a Christian, Pastor Timothy Keller?” Articles like this generally bother me because what they cover is so small. Many people in the comments section (which I generally try to avoid like grim death) pointed out that Kristof was asking Keller to define what makes one a Christian. But, because Keller is of a particular Christian “camp” his definition should not speak for all or even many Christians. There were even pastors who said according to Keller’s definition they would not make the cut. I guess technically I wouldn’t either, and that for me is the bigger issue. It’s not that I’m all that concerned with someone not considering me a Christian (even though I am a pastor - so maybe it should concern me if people don't consider me a Christian), but that people and pastors feel empowered to make the call to begin with bothers me deeply. I’ve hinted at my arrogance as recently as the last thing I wrote on this blog, but I can count on one hand the times I’ve thought or said someone is going to hell - and all those times were over a decade ago (when I believed in hell and still thought those who put the Bible together believed in it as well).

I don’t get the certainty of saying this person or group is in and that one is out. Sure I can appreciate some basic boundaries. If you don’t believe anything about Jesus at all, it’s probably hard to call yourself a Christian. Although at the moment I’m not willing to say you would not be with God in eternity (my way of talking about heaven - cause that’s not really in the Bible either - at least not the way we generally consider it). And that’s mostly where the rub is for me - the business of the afterlife. Keller didn’t make major pronouncements in this area, but I’ve heard countless others speak with certainty about who is heaven or hell bound. Most notably the Westboro Baptist quacks who now seem to “believe” those who wear shorts will burn in hell. I guess maybe at least they won’t be as hot wearing shorts and all.

I go to a few things to help remind me that I’m not alone in being slow or nonexistent with these answers. One of my professors in divinity school when asked about such things would often say “That ain’t my job!” He meant it’s not his (or our) job to decide who is in and who is out when the final trumpet sounds. That’s completely and totally up to God. So perhaps we should let God be God. Which leads to something pretty meaningful to me: Jesus actually talking about this.

In the Gospel According to John, Jesus has an exchange with Peter after the resurrection. Peter seems to be questioning Jesus on the acceptability of someone being on the inside with Jesus. It goes like this: “Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; he was the one who had reclined next to Jesus at the supper and had said, ‘Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?’ When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, ‘Lord, what about him?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!’” (John 21:20-22). The prevailing belief is that the “beloved disciple” is John (unless you are Dan Brown, and then it’s obviously Mary Magdalene). So Peter has a problem with John following Jesus. And Jesus’ response is perfect: “What’s it to you?!” I love that. Once again, it’s really not your concern who is in and who is out. Jesus will settle all that. What should we do? Following seems like a good idea. And if we focus on that, we will have enough work for this life and probably the next.

No comments: